WordPress security is a topic of huge importance for every website owner. WordPress is an open source software which is regularly maintained and updated. By default, WordPress automatically installs minor updates. For major releases, you need to manually initiate the update. WordPress also comes with thousands of plugins and themes that you can install on your website. These plugins and themes are maintained by third-party developers which regularly release updates as well. Each week, Google blacklists around 20,000 websites for malware and around 50,000 for phishing. So, here are many ways from which you can secure your WordPress blog and websites:-
1) Two-Factor Authentication Login
2) Implementing Login Limits
3) Change Admin Login URL
4) Make Your Passwords Secure
5) Password Protect the WP-Admin Directory
6) Always keep your WordPress up to date. Install the latest upgrade as soon as the upgrade is released.
7) Always update the plugins you are using.
8) Deactivate and Remove the plugins that are not in use.
9) Prefer to use plugins with good reviews (in terms of quality as well as quantity)
10) Do not use plugins which have not being used by, or which have not been tested properly.
11) Backup your files and database from time to time. You can use plugins to automate this. Backups can be stored on server or drop box
12) Avoid using the default username (example: admin, etc.). If already created create another account and delete default admin account Always use a strong password.
Some useful plugins for security:
Better WP Security
WP Security Scan
Limit Login Attempts
Google Authenticator (2-Factor Authentication)
Stealth Login Page
From within the WordPress admin, which is very handy.
Why Website Security is Important?
A hacked WordPress site can cause serious damage to your business revenue and reputation. Hackers can steal user information, passwords, install malicious software, and can even distribute malware to your users.
Worst, you may find yourself paying ransomware to hackers just to regain access to your website.
That’s why website security is important